8.06.2014

Bluebird

 
photo credit
To say that i like watching birds would be an understatement. I have the Birds of Minnesota book and faithfully check off each new type of bird i see. The book (and accompanying cd's of bird calls) are on top of a hutch in our kitchen for quick and easy access. Unfortunately the book was missing for a good year, but i found it this Spring in our front closet, right under my nose the whole time. It was a happy day when that book was found! The funny thing about me getting into watching birds, is that my husband has too. Last summer he was the one to spot the Scarlet Tanager that came by! I finally was privileged to see it, but he had the first couple sightings.

We have lived in our house for over 5 years now. I start to think that maybe we won't see any new types of birds, but.... WE DO!

 Last summer was the S. Tanager, this summer it was the  Eastern Bluebird. Many people in our area see them; i happen to be the one who doesn't. In June, i spotted one on a fort wall at Fort Snelling. I was so thrilled! Then, a couple of days ago, Brian and i were sitting on the back deck. He says, "What kind is that?" At first i didn't know what he was talking about, but his eyes were on a branch close by, so i assumed it must be a bird. All off a sudden, a flash of blue wings took off and flew across the yard! An Eastern Bluebird!

My jaw dropped.
This is the branch where the bird landed.
It's a dead branch i put in a container with
zinnias and morning glories. 
I couldn't speak.
I was so stunned and elated!

I ran inside and grabbed the bird book to show him. It was just the coolest thing to see that bird, the bird i have wanted to see close up for so long, right there on the branch on our porch, not five feet from us!

Seeing that bird was a sweet gift from my Father. He knew that something so simple would fill me with great joy. Brian said that it was like i had won the lottery, my reaction to seeing the bird was so big :). Though the moment was short, the sight of that bird helped me. It brought joy to a world-weary heart. It reminded me of the amazing Creator God that i serve. It reminded me that moments of absolute beauty pop up when i am least expecting them.

And...

It filled my heart with a deep gratitude.
Gratitude for simple joys. For beautiful nights. For time on the deck with my husband. For Eastern Bluebirds that will sit and rest for a moment on a branch nearby. For the One who created all things, and who does all things well - our great God!

Guess who visited the branch last night? A Hummingbird! The little thing came and took a sip of nectar from a flower, and then perched right there on the branch while we were eating our dinner. You should have seen all 6 of us just stop and stare and wonder! So tiny, so beautiful. 

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you got to see that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anonymous.
      It was a real treat and a timely gift from above :)

      Delete
  2. We are also delighted by the birds who come to our deck sent by our loving God. Everyone gets really quiet so they won't fly away. I haven't seen the bluebird or tanger you mentioned but I can imagine the excitement. I love the way God can perk us up with such simple things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a wonderful gift, if we can learn to see them that way :)

      Delete
  3. I was having a really rough day not too long ago and seeing the critters outside cheered me up so I definitely think of them as a gift. A gift of perspective. Look at these, seemingly insignificant to us BIG people and one of many, that God provides and cares for.... How much does He love and care and provide for me even more?

    ReplyDelete

Let's Talk (~: