12.03.2014

Work Ethic

I like to think of how I do my work as my "mark". It says something about me. If I consistently only washed half of the dishes, or left the laundry in the washer for days, you would get the impression that I didn't care too incredibly much about doing a good job. On the other hand, if you walked into my kitchen and saw the sink and counters clean and tidy, or into the laundry room and saw the laundry washed, dried, folded, and waiting for its owners to come and put it away, you would rightly think I cared about doing my best work. This is a bit tricky for me, as I have truly struggled with being a perfectionist in the past.     (Here is one thing you need to know about perfectionists: a person who is a perfectionist wants to do it perfectly the first time, and if they can't, they will tend to just not do whatever it is. So to say that a perfectionist's home is perfect all the time is a lie. You may be surprised by how many "messy" people are truly perfectionists that are overwhelmed with the task before them! Yet, it can be overcome when we have a biblical work ethic! )

Ok...back to my post. I care about doing my best work. Our house is by no means perfectly clean, but i have learned to be content with tidy and "lived-in". We have 4 kids and 2 dogs, so "lived-in" is doable. And yes, this was a hard adjustment for me! We do the best job we can.

I have a couple verses from the Bible that have long been go-to verses for me regarding how and why I do my work, and I share them with our children often to remind them too. Here they are:

Colossians 3:22-24:  Slaves, in all things obey those who are your masters on earth, not with external service, as those who merely please men, but with sincerity of heart, fearing the Lord. Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve.  {emphasis mine}
Ephesians 6:7-8: With good will render service, as to the Lord, and not to men, knowing that whatever good thing each one does, this he will receive back from the Lord, whether slave or free.
Both of these sets of verses directs our service to be done for the Lord, and as for the Lord. What a great focus for our serving. With these truths to guide us, you would think we would always do our work with excellence, giving glory to God. Unfortunately, we don't. We grumble. We complain. We do it, but we want everyone to know how unhappy we are about having to do it. Or, worse, we do it so that we can get noticed. We do it so that we can receive thanks and recognition. Teaching our children the important truths here is challenging when we ourselves don't live them out. 

So, from these two passages, how are we to do our work? What should our work ethic look like? Well, I see a few things here: 
  • We are to do our work heartily (in an enthusiastic and energetic way; completely or fully {Merriam Webster}).
  • We are to do our work unto the Lord. I often wonder how different my attitude would be if Christ Jesus was standing right there next to me. And then i remember ~ He is.
  • We are to do our work NOT as men-pleasers, but with a sincere heart (sincere: free from pretense or deceit; proceeding from genuine feelings. {from google}) Ouch.
  • We are to do our work as fearing the Lord. Matthew Henry has this to say about it: "Those who fear God, will be just and faithful when from under their master's eye, because they know they are under the eye of God." 
  • We are to do our work with good will. I think of this as doing it with the right attitude, with a joy-filled heart. Doing our work out of gratitude for all that Christ Jesus has done for us. And yes, this even applies to the tenth load of laundry this week. 
  • We are to do our work knowing that, even if no one here recognizes or thanks us, Christ sees and will give us the reward of our inheritance. We will "receive back from the Lord". What a motivation for our service! 
Wow! Take a look at that again. We have every reason to be joy-filled workers! I pray that as you go on this week, that these verses can encourage you to press on and keep serving where ever it is that God has placed you; whether in the corporate world or the home, the church or the factory, in your school work or in your work place.  When people see the way we do our work, if we are doing it from a biblical work ethic, they just may want to know why we care so much... which can wonderfully lead to an opportunity to share the hope of Christ that we have. 

May God be glorified in our serving! 




6 comments:

  1. Hmmmm, having trouble posting on here. Maybe I'll just email you instead. Really appreciate this post, a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good! It worked, now I will post my lengthy comment in a few below....

    Thank you for this post. It is good reminder to me as I am working lately on running my home better, to the glory of God. I thought about the process God has brought me through in this regard since He saved me nearly 10 years ago.

    1. When I was first a stay at home mom I tried to have a "perfect" home and practically "killed" myself trying to doing it all and be super mom. Scrapbooking every little piece of life, making gifts, volunteering in the community and church, and making sure all the chores in the house were done to a T are just a few of the things I did. And why did I do all of this? What was my motivation? I wanted people to approve of me and think that I was this great mom and wife. My heart was worshipping others approval, not God.

    2. So, then with all the fibromyalgia problems I was having, God really forced the issue that I couldn't physically "do it all" anymore. I still knew what needed to be done in the home, but I began prioritizing things and doing jobs in smaller time chunks, not finishing a large job in one day, putting off certain cleaning until it was in dire need of being done because it would send me into more and more pain which wasn't good. One motto I have, with 4 kids, is that if there is a mess, it means we are being productive and creative. It's a constant uphill battle being home 99% of the time with all of the children and homeschooling them too. I learned not to care when my mom came over to help and almost every time complained about how messy the house was. But, she eventually saw what i was trying to do with the kids, play and read to them and work hard in a different way rather than keeping everything "perfect" in the home (which was where her focus was when we were growing up). One thing that was sorely lacking in this mind-set was having the kids and husband help more with the house upkeep. I was not running my house well, at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's still me, continuing my post from above...

    3. I am in a different place, recently I might add, with this house work. Thanks to the book The Excellent Wife by Martha Peace, among other books speaking about hospitality and service to the Lord and others. I look at having a cleaner, less cluttered home as a blessing of service to my family and others who visit and as service unto the Lord Jesus Christ. If I run my home in a better way and keep it clean, I am serving them all better, to the glory of God. But, I still can't physically do it all, that is a reality that I must consider and face. So now, I have been having our older children (thankfully they have grown more mature and helpful in the last 10 years) help way more and actually have a schedule for cleaning and upkeeping the house, doing laundry, and getting groceries. It's not as overwhelming to me now. We still have a long way to go, but I feel things are getting better in this area of life. I often work beside them, training them to do the job well until they can do it on their own. I still have my rough days when I have a migraine or am in too much pain to help, and I have to be flexible in that regard. Our home feels like a more welcome place to be, and I know it is more of blessing to my husband too who likes things tidier than me, or maybe I've just learned to put up with it better. It's not about making it look good to please man, but it's about serving the Lord to the best of my ability as a manager of my home. I guess I'm accepting that responsibility to a greater degree than I have before. And still the house will very rarely be "perfect" in my eyes, since 30 seconds after a room is cleaned the younger children are in there tearing it apart again, but maybe it's perfect in a different way in the eyes of God who looks at our heart attitudes and intentions of what we are trying to do and what we are actually putting into practice and whom we are actually worshipping in the process. No one is perfect but the Lord anyways.

    I enjoy reading your blogspot, thank you for your continued encouragement in pressing on in service and love and faith to God the Father and our Lord Jesus Christ.

    Love, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing part of your journey :). We have the kids do daily chores, and we rotate weekly what that chore is. It helps a TON, and they should be involved in the care of the home. we deal a bit with the attitude when it comes time to clean.. i used to really like Bear in the Big Blue House and his song "Clean up the House". It made it all seem so....FUN!
    http://youtu.be/uMu2qkhyzx8?t=11m

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband is that of a perfectionist. I can so relate to the comment about not doing it if it can't be perfect. Ugh, drives me crazy. I'm a perfectionist, but in different ways. When it comes to house cleaning, I say "good enough". But if we have people coming over, I freak out. I hate that about myself. I'm a people pleaser when it comes to my house. I saw something recently about that--it said something about people being too busy trying to be perfect to notice your imperfections. That's true. I never think about how imperfect someone is because I'm much too busy trying to perfect myself. LOL. Sad! Anyway, I'm a work in progress, as we all are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that, Sister.. A work in progress, ALL OF US :)

      Delete

Let's Talk (~: