4.19.2011

Much-Afraid

i am re-reading Hinds' Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard. what an excellent book. it is an allegory about a crippled, disfigured girl who decides to go on a journey to the High Places with the Chief Shepherd. He chooses two companions to go with her up the mountains, and they are Sorrow and Suffering. Interesting choices, methinks. Yet, they were chosen with utmost wisdom and perfect love. i was drawn in again by the attempts of her family, the Fearlings, to keep her from being with the Shepherd, and by their plot to get her to marry her cousin, Craven Fear.

At one point in the first chapter, she is singing a beautiful song that just touched my heart last night. Here it is for your reading pleasure...

"The Song of Songs," the loveliest song, 
The song of Love the King, 
No joy on earth compares with his,
But seems a broken thing.
His Name as ointment is poured forth,
And all his lovers sing.

Draw me-I will run after thee,
Thou art my heart's one choice,
Oh, bring me to thy royal house,
To dwell there and rejoice.
There in thy presence, O my King,
To feast and hear thy voice.

Look not upon me with contempt,
Though soiled and marred I be,
The King found me-an outcast thing-
And set his love on me.
I shall be perfected by Love,
Made fair as day to see
                                  (Cant. 1:1-6)Excerpt from Hinds' Feet...Chapter One

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE this story too! It's been years since I've read it so I enjoyed your summary that refreshed my memory. I read the children's version to my daughter several years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have read it at least 4 times! i didn't realize there was a childrens version...i have got to get that! we have 4...two younger daughters would really enjoy it though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Let's Talk (~: