6.07.2013

Mark

NOTE TO SELF: this is a longer entry!! more like a "bob" than a "bit" (heehee)

Thursday, June 6, 2013 marked an important day in the life of our family: it was the last day, Lord willing, that any of our children would enter or leave a public school as a student. We are now home-educating all of them. Our 1st grader attended public school this year, because she got the teacher we requested. This is a teacher who loves our family, and is incredibly special to us.

Today also marked the last day my daughter would get on and off the school bus.

enter: Mark.

I don't know how long Mark has driven the bus. I know for the last four years he has driven my kids to school. Last year he had 3 out of 4 of them. This year, just one. And let me tell you, this little one he had this year was scared to go on the bus without her siblings. Her fears were soon relieved, as Mark looked out for her and always smiled at her and her friend. This was an answered prayer from this little Mamma's heart.

Mark carries precious cargo every day to school and back again. He is also carried by that precious cargo, in their heart, at least the precious cargo at this stop. Last week, we didn't have Mark driving the bus. We had a sub. And when my little one heard the sub saying to someone that Mark may not be back before the end of the year, well, her little heart just broke. That evening she just cried. yes... cried. Her little heart was so sad that she wouldn't get to see him. See what i mean? The precious cargo he carries also carries him. The next day, I asked the sub if Mark would be back. She said she thought so, that there had been a death in the family. Immediately my heart grieved for him.

This past Monday, Mark was back!! Oh happy day! Joy of joys for our precious cargo! We had prayed about it, and God answered. I told Mark that my little one was so happy! I told him that she had cried when she thought she wouldn't see him again. I can't explain the look on his face... touched, i guess.

It was the next morning, Tuesday, that Mark motioned for me to come to the bus, and he shared with me that his step-son had passed away. He was only 30. He knew i had lost my Dad recently, and that i would understand. The other mom at the stop (a friend of mine) and I asked if we could do anything... bring a meal, anything. No... but thanks. Well, of course we sprang in to action anyway, and picked up a gift card from Noodles, and a card. This morning we were able to give it to him. I got a picture of him with our girls, and he  shed a tear, i do believe, which in turn, made us Moms get emotional!

It really got me thinking today. Mark has NO IDEA how much he means to us. That he is so much more than a bus driver! I decided to write him a letter of thanks, expressing my gratitude, though words seemed to fall short. I won't share the details of the letter, though i did share the one source of all comfort as he and his wife grieve, Jesus Christ.

 It really got me thinking though, about how many of us just do what we need to do and think "i am just a bus driver... home-maker... or cashier... teacher... or_______." May I be one to tell you just how much you may mean to even ONE person. And that is something that could last into eternity. When i saw just how much Mark meant to my daughter and her friend, i was deeply touched. This one man has made an impression on my girl that will last a lifetime.

Colossians 3:23-24 states:  And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ. 

May all we do, even if we think it is unimportant, be done for His glory, fame, and honor alone.






4 comments:

  1. I sometimes get more attached to therapists and teachers than my kids do. I sobbed like an idiot when it was C's last day at therapy. We had "Ms. Jill" in our lives for the past year a half twice a week and she had been a life line to me when I didn't know what was normal or how to react to it with C. I still miss her very much! C could care less. He sometimes brings her up in conversations, but rarely asks to see her. He was quite young still when we left. But I will treasure the time she put into my son and the encouragement she was to me. So hard to let good people go. It really is...at least for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i gave him my email, and he wrote me back :) So sweet. He said he would be happy to have G right him notes. He was such a blessing. SUCH a blessing.

      Delete
  2. Jeanette ~
    I enjoyed this story so much! Congratulations on your decision to homeschool all your kids.

    It was great to see you at the KNEEL book sale. I wish that our paths crossed more often. Have a blessed day of worship! Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you! I wish we could have talked more at the sale! we will have to be intentional about it :)

      Delete

Let's Talk (~: