8.07.2013

No Chasers...

So, we had a pretty big storm here last night. Hail that was 2"x1"x1" thick. It was big, bad, and scary. Honestly sounded like someone was throwing fistfuls of large rocks at our north side.

So, today i called insurance.

i am SO not going up on the roof to check for damage.
neither is the hubby.

Our insurance agency is stellar...really. The woman who helps us isn't even the agent, but she is his right hand, FOR SURE. She is so helpful, and even remembers who we are. That right there is pretty cool. Well, she said an adjuster would call us within a few days, and it may take a couple weeks for someone to come out. No biggie. Then she kindly warned me about any storm chasers and to avoid them.

Yep.

I have seen the stories. Bad stories, of people taken for a ride by "roofers" and "contractors" that hit neighborhoods after a big storm. STAY AWAY... Got it.

I had been off the phone for less than an hour when, lo and behold, here comes a storm chaser! I met him on the porch, and he handed me his business card. I very kindly (seriously!) thanked him for stopping but told him i was going through our insurance company.

You would have thought that i had called him every nasty name in the book! No kidding! He starts telling me, quite vehemently, that i need to just use him and not use insurance. I quite nicely informed him that we weren't even sure we had damage, and we were waiting for an adjuster. I also stated that our insurance company has served us quite well and has always taken care of our needs. (:

He had had enough. I got a rather passionate speech about why adjusters are basically evil, and that i needed to go through him. Then, winner of all winners, he tries to name-drop with me! We have one incredibly wealthy man on the edge of our neighborhood. He owns a real estate group, and even has the street he lives on (which he had all the homes built...4 of them i believe) named after himself. Nice.

I politely said, "Well, good for Mr.______." Fairly ticked at me by this point because i didn't fall for his intimidation and now his name dropping, he said something again, and i honestly can't remember it! I replied that i would take his card and possibly call him if the need arose after we spoke to our adjuster and insurance company.

He huffed off our porch.

I smiled.

Then it dawned on me that i wouldn't call him, even if we did need a roofer. His rudeness and attitude toward me sunk his ship.

Moral: Go through your insurance, and smile at the storm chasers, no matter how irritated they get.


2 comments:

  1. Storm Chasers are annoying. I had to put a sign on my front door tell them NOT to knock. Any time we have a hail storm the sign goes up!

    BTW, Congrats!!! Your blog was picked for this week's Blog of the Week over on Blog Mommas!!! Yippeeee!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS!! We did put up a no solicitor sign now! It is actually illegal here, unless you have a peddler's permit, which takes 5 days to get, so you KNOW they didn't have it yet!

      Delete

Let's Talk (~: