8.29.2013

Suffering & God's Sovereignty

Bill Johnson, one of the leaders of the New Apostolic Reformation, believes that God doesn't give us suffering. ever.  Here is a short clip of him answering 3 questions... You will notice how lightly he handles the storm on the sea, and the cross. For further information on this kind of theology, read this article by blogger Erin of Do Not Be Surprised. 





Contrast the above video with what R.C. Sproul, Jr. has to say about suffering.

Within 10 months of each other, R.C. Sproul, Jr. lost his wife to cancer and his special needs daughter. This is worth listening to. It is 20 minutes long.



I wonder what Mr. Johnson would say to Mr. Sproul?
hmmm.


5 comments:

  1. Well thought out, very biblical, and compassionate response to suffering by Sproul. This was so helpful to me. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it very thoughtful. He is living out his theology! Seeing godly men and women walk through suffering clinging to the promises of God... such an example of living it out.

      Delete
  2. Wow Thank you for posting this. This very topic is near and dear to my heart. I like how he described trials as "hard providences" and how doctrine should be life. God has used suffering in my life to change me and even though they may hurt so badly I know it is to His glory. Listening to this will help me to lean into those promises more and encourage others who are suffering. I would love to talk to you about how the Lord is working through your suffering too.
    Love, Andrea Sanford

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has used suffering to change me, most definitely. I was so thankful for Sproul's teaching on this in a sermon i have on dvd as well, that was preached BEFORE his wife died. Was amazing to hear how his theology is still just as true and strong after. We have to lean in to it, as hard as that is.
      Praise God that this was encouraging to you! You may also like the post on here with a song from Shane & Shane called Though You Slay Me.

      Delete
    2. here is the link to the blog post...which sends you to the blog on desiringGod.org with the song: http://bitsnbob.blogspot.com/2013/08/it-is-not-meaningless.html

      Delete

Let's Talk (~: