10.02.2014

The Depth of Letters

 A friend sent me a letter John Newton had written to a woman who was struggling. It was amazing. It caused me to want to read other letters he had written. Here is a great website with some of his letters for you to read. They are worth the time, even if you just read a few here and there. I read a letter he wrote to a fellow minister about godly church members. It was an excellent reminder to keep pressing on in Christ as a member of a local church, and that a member living a life committed to Jesus Christ is an encouragement to the pastor.

HERE is a link to 151 of his poems/hymns, which are also worth the time to read, bit by bit.

As I read through a few of his letters yesterday, it stood out to me how every line, every word that he wrote was purposeful. His letters do not begin "Hi! How are you?" No. They start off deep, intense, and personal. He is intentional to take every bit of space on the paper he is writing on to turn the reader to Christ. To the reality of life in this world. To the blessedness of perseverance, or to the desperate need of repentance. He seems to fear no one in his writing. Newton was bold for Christ.

As I read through some of his letters, a deep desire came over me to make my own words count. To be intentional in my letters. To be bold for Christ. To be intentional with my spoken words. Recently we heard a sermon at our church that reminded us of the need to live godly lives. I listened to two other messages by different preachers on the same passage to fill it out a little for myself, and the main point i heard? EVERYTHING we do while we traverse this planet matters. Everything. Every word spoken. Every act of love. Every sacrifice made for Christ. Every time we say NO to sin. Every time we choose self-control (by the power of His Spirit) over blowing our top. Every time we make a conscious choice not to gossip. Every time we fold another.load.of.laundry.  Every time we get up early to have those precious moment with our Saviour. Everything matters. Everything.


John Newton seemed to understand this. His letters reflect it. His poetry and his hymns proclaim it. In the midst of his own pain and difficulties, the Gospel shines forth as the most beautiful Light, calling us all to fix our gaze on Jesus Christ, the Author and Perfector of our faith.

Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve. Colossians 3:23-24

4 comments:

  1. You know what I love about John Newton? He was known as one of the happiest preachers, yet he took time to tend to the unruly, the disheartened, the insane. he was best friends with one poet I can truly relate with--he was a man who wrote deep, deep poetry about God but struggled with depression, trying to take his own life many times and God intervening at just the right time. His name was William Cowper. And John Newton was his best friend up until the day he died even though he swayed back and forth in his faith and often thought God was punishing him. For some reason, that story has always stuck with me because many people can say words--they can even say them beautifully, but to continue to stick by someone through the ugly stuff--that's a real Christian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanette, Those letters are like sermons! I am reading a biography about Elizabeth Prentiss and it has many letters that she wrote and I have been amazed at the depth of what she writes. Perhaps email, social media, and cell phones have caused us to lack as much depth in our writing and communicating with each other.

    Michelle, I also love that about John Newton and his relationship with William Cowper. It is encouraging to me as I've struggled with depression but also had many people throughout my life that have had mild to severe depression, anxiety, grief, suicidal thoughts.... It can be difficult to know how to minister to these needs. As godly women we should be the ones who love others in their ugly mess of a life, who stick by with compassion, pointing them to the cross and gospel of Jesus Christ. I do think that John Newton and Elizabeth Prentiss' letters were part of the way they "stuck by" the people they loved as that was a primary means of communication if they didn't live near them. It's neat to have a record of those conversations through the mail today.

    Let us strive to please our Father God in all that we do! Soli Deo Gloria

    Thanks for the interesting thoughts ladies, I am enjoying the detours God is taking me down lately.

    Love
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle and Andrea,
    Thank you for the time you took to read and to comment so thoughtfully. I have loved the relationship of Cowper and Newton as well. A beautiful picture. When people are depressed and in the trenches of pain (i, too, have been there often), sometimes it can feel like people are trying to "fix" you if we look at their words and their pointing us to Christ in our own flesh. But when we can see their hearts as well, that they are staying by our side by pointing us to the One who loves us more deeply than we will ever know, to the One who is our healing, then we can see the preciousness of them pointing us to Christ, if that makes any sense? I know there are times i don't know what to say to someone, but God says that His Word will speak, so i share a verse, not trying to fix anyone, but to show them the hope we have in Christ, even in the darkest of valleys.
    I love how Newton writes of pain, but still points to Christ. Always Christ. May we use our words, whether written or spoke, to point to Christ. Always Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not good at knowing what to say either. I'm much better at writing than I am speaking but sometimes just being there is such a wonderful thing. It's funny for me because I've been depressed most of my life but for me to reach out and help someone who is depressed...that's hard! Thankfully I am through most of that although I still have my bad days, but it is encouraging to me how Newton was able to help Cowper just with letters sometimes too. Love your thoughts!!

    ReplyDelete

Let's Talk (~: