9.17.2013

Understood?

Last week i was reading in one of my devotional books, Opened Treasures, and i came across an entry that i think many can resonate with. Have you ever been misunderstood? (yep, i can hear the "harrumph.YES!"). I don't know about you, but i have found that when i am really listening to the Word and attempting to live life according to the Word, i am misunderstood more and more. 

Are we willing to be misunderstood whilst we follow our Saviour? 

Here, the entry from Frances R. Havergal, in Opened Treasures

MISUNDERSTOOD?
Thou understandest my thought. Psalm 139.2

Who does not know what it is to be misunderstood? Perhaps no one ever is always and perfectly understood, because so few Christians are like their Master in having the spirit of quick understanding. But this does not make it the less trying to you; and you do not feel able to say with Paul, "With me it is a very small thing." But this precious Word which meets every need, gives you a steppingstone which is quite enough to enable you to reach that brave position, if you will only stand on it. "Thou understandest my thought." Even if others "daily mistake" your words, he understands your thought, and is not this infinitely better? He Himself, your ever-loving, ever-present Father, understands. He understands perfectly just what and just when others do not. Not your actions merely, but your thought--the central self which no words can reveal to others. "All my desire is before Thee." He understands how you desired to do the right thing when others thought you did the wrong thing. He understands how His poor, weak child wants to please Him, and secretly mourns over grieving Him. "Thou understandest" seems to go even a step further than the great comfort of "Thou knowest." "His understanding is infinite." 
 

2 comments:

  1. I know I have a whole section somewhere in my journal where I wrote about this for a season. I HATE being misunderstood! Hate it, especially when my motives and heart are in question. Thanks for sharing this. Saving this to journal about another day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i hear ya. i think that is much of what i have written about myself! so very grateful that "He understandeth."

      Delete

Let's Talk (~: