9.27.2013

an observation

My husband and I were discussing some music last night. I have been exposed to a singer/songwriter named Josh Garrels. {Um... REALLY like his music!} As we were talking about one song, my sweet hubby noticed something about me.
he looks over at me with a smirk on his snerk, and lovingly says, "You don't passively listen to music."
I had to chuckle. yeah. NO! i hadn't thought of it that way before, but it is absolutely true. I can hear stuff, and it seems like it becomes a part of me. I get wrapped up in the song.  I am sensitive to the tone of voice it is sung in. i can hear the intesity behind the voice. i can feel it. deep inside, i feel the music. and yes, i am one of those ones who will play a song that i am totally "getting" over and over and over.

i don't know.

it moves me. intensely. Even the instrumentals. It speaks.

that being said, i have to take care with what i am listening to!

And that is why the new (to me) sound and voice of Josh Garrels is so refreshing. He is a Believer; a Christ-one. And he is creative. He sings with his soul. it is a breath of fresh air in the cookie-cutter "christian" music scene. He aches over the broken things in this world. He soars with the beauty that is to be found in true, real relationships. He sings the Word of God in a way that is captivating (Revelator).

so, yeah. i don't passively listen to music. i intensely listen. it is part of what makes me, me. As i listen, i learn things; about God, myself, the Bible, and others.




2 comments:

  1. Congrats you guys! I drew your blog as this week's Blog of the Week!

    ReplyDelete

Let's Talk (~: